There are lots of families out there on amazing adventures. Check out a few that we’ve come across below, as well as other cycling and simple living resources. Do you have an inspiring story or website you think should be listed here? Send us a note and we’ll check it out!
- Adventure in Progress New England based family who adventures together. Great tips and write-ups on family hiking and backpacking.
- Dreirad Rebekka, Florian and their son Chan cycle from Vancouver to Patagonia.
- Ecolicious Family on Wheels David, Amira and Salome grow together as a family by cycle touring South East Asia and other destinations.
- Exodus Family Rolph, Jenny and Taydon are a family on a quest to explore the world, reconnect with nature, and enjoy life together by visiting all 50 states on their year-long journey.
- PCT Family A couple hike the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail with their 10-year-old daughter.
- The Duggans In summer 2010, Linda, Phil and 2 year old Luca set off around the world by bike.
- The Family Adventure Project The Family Adventure Project aims to inspire others to get out there and start or keep on adventuring by showcasing inspiring stories from families around the world who adventure together.
- The Harrisons On a stretch quint bicycle, this Pedouin family cycles 7,000 miles from Kentucky to Alaska.
- The Hopkins Four weeks touring Vietnam and Thailand with a 7-month old.
- The Knoll-Millers Australian couple cycles 54 days through Europe with their 1-year-old son.
- The McFerrins Family of five on a year long cycling journey riding two tandems and a trail-a-bike.
- The Murrs Florida to Oregon on bikes with 2 toddlers!
- The Stouts This car-free family from Boulder, Colorado inspired us to build up our cargo/kiddo bike. Great stories about touring and car-free life with kids.
- The Verhages This adventurous family of four cycles from California to South America on two tandems, roadschooling along the way.
- The Vogels A couple and their twin sons go on epic bicycle adventures, including cycling the Pan-American Highway.
- Toddler on Tour Matt, Becki and Theo are from North Wales and dream of travelling the world, living simply and exploring the unknown with their toddler in tow.
Advocacy & Networking
- Adventure Cycling Association Adventure Cycling Association’s nonprofit mission is to inspire people of all ages to travel by bicycle for fitness, fun, and self-discovery. Their route maps are fantastic, and we will be using them for about half our big trip.
- Children & Nature Network The vision and mission of the Children & Nature Network is to give every child in every community a wide range of opportunities to experience nature directly.
- I Cycle Hamilton ‘I Cycle Hamilton’ advocates for bicycling as a viable, safe and convenient alternative mode of transportation in our hometown of Hamilton, Ontario.
- Kidical Mass Kidical Mass is a legal, safe and FUN bike ride for kids, kids at heart, and their families. Join a ride near you, or organize your own today!
- Nature Rocks Nature Rocks is a national program to inspire and empower families to play and explore in nature. Their mission is to make it easy for you to have fun in nature, and connect with others to do the same.
- Outdoor Baby Network Outdoor Baby Network is a news website for parents who want to share stories, read gear reviews, and stay up to date on the latest outdoor happenings that are important for introducing their children to the natural world.
Other Journals & Blogs
- Down the Road Tim and Cindie Travis have been on the road since 2002, with no plans to stop travelling. An amazing story of living on their bikes full-time.
- Going Slowly Cycling through Europe and beyond, this couple from Minnesota have been living on their bikes for over a year. Great posts on touring and technology, as well as amazing photos.
- The Path Less Pedaled In 2009, Laura Crawford and Russ Roca left on their bike to live a life less ordinary. Great thoughts on cycling, and some incredible photography.
- Totcycle Tots on bikes, kids as cargo, family cycling, and other high-occupancy velo goodness. Great resource if you bike with your kids, or if you are looking to start.
- TravellingTwo After an epic multi-year round-the-world bike tour, Friedel and Andrew settled in Holland and now offer up great articles, podcasts and ebooks on bicycle touring.